It’s 3:00 am, and I can’t sleep. In fact, I woke up thinking about my major project and how it has begun to stitch itself together like a fine quilt and unravel like a loved blanket all at the same time. Has this ever happened to you? Gah!!! This is how progress is made, small steps I keep reminding myself, even if things do not happen within our allotted semester time, any small step forward is a success.
Things that are going well:
- All of the grades that are using Google Classroom are LOVING it! They are asking me to use it more than my school blog now….. Maybe my blog might become obsolete? I hope not, I like my blog as it allows parents easy access to see what their students are up to daily. And whatever, it is my blog,,, so I will keep it!
- I have learned that the current grade 8’s from the elementary school in Lumsden are already connected to Google Classroom and their teacher is using it all the time! This will make it easier for me once they come to grade 10 (or earlier depending on my course load next year).
- There is a way to transfer G-Suite from a student email to their personal email before graduation – BUT who is going to teach this to the students? Whose job is this? Does this mean the school owns the students work and the student doesn’t? So many more questions!!
Things that are not going well:
- Because I am not an administrator for our school divisions G-Suite I cannot access the administrator reports for my Classrooms. This may be because I am using my personal Gmail account. Big No No – I know! But everything I don’t consider my personal email account mine, all of my school info is in there. This is an issue I am now working on.
- My students have used their personal email accounts as well because they were having issues signing in with their school emails. I have never, nor will I ever contact a student via Google Classroom and I delete my classroom students immediately after the class is done. However, this is still an issue. So – while my intentions are good, I am bending a lot of rules.
AS my project begins to come together, I am left with so many questions, maybe more than when I began? But this is entirely part of the learning process, and I am okay with that. I don’t think that Kristen and Stephen are expecting these projects to be entirely finished at the outset of this class, some of our projects will be an ongoing passion project that may take a bit longer than the four months we have together in this course for our leadership styles to percolate within our projects. Mine will take just a bit longer, I feel that I will need a full school year to collect data (at this point I feel that it will have to be qualitatively done) in order to present it to my division. I do not want to go to them with a weak case, as they are so pro one other LMS usage. You know what? I am okay with that, I will keep on using my Google Classroom – however, I will have students use their own school emails making sure that I am protected. AND now we are back to the original question that began this whole thing…who is going to tell them and give them (the students) the time to transfer their educational portfolios over to their own accounts????